The Blog of Anders Nissen

torsdag, december 02, 2004

Science Fiction

I'm thinking about starting to read some of Philip K. Dick's popular science fiction novels.
For some reason I've never read a "real" science fiction book, and I didn't know about Philip K. Dick until resently. Apparently he's a very well known and respected novelist, especially in the science fiction category, and many of his books have been made it to the silver screen.

Some of the blockbusters and cult movies based on his novels include:
  • Blade Runner (1982)
    Based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".
  • Screamers (1990)
    Based on "Second Variety".
  • Total Recall (1992)
    Based on "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale".
  • Confessions d'un Barjo (French, 1992)
    Based on "Confessions of a Crap Artist".
  • Impostor (2001)
    Based on "Impostor".
  • Minority Report (2002)
    Based on "The Minority Report".
  • Paycheck (Christmas 2003)
    Based on "Paycheck".
Not too shabby, eh?

I'm hoping to sqeeze some Sci-Fic reading material into my huge stack of programming books. I'm definitely starting off with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Blade Runner) or prehaps the "intro" to it, a short story called The Little Black Box. Blade Runner is one of my all time favorite movies (and games)!

I'll let you know what I think of the books once I get some of them read!

You can read more about Philip K. Dick at his official site that can be found at www.PhilipKDick.com.