The Blog of Anders Nissen

tirsdag, marts 08, 2005

Experinces With Lua

Lua is a "a powerful light-weight programming language designed for extending applications". It's a scripting language and it's very easily extended. It can be used for any application, but is mostly used in games where it's gained a wide fan base.

After a lot of problems getting Lua to cooperate with Microsoft Visual C++ I finally got around to experimenting with Lua. And I must say that it's a great great scripting language!

No wonder why the good folk at Bioware and Black Isle (may they rest in peace) choose to use Lua for the huge scripting effort required in the Baldur's Gate-series and the rest of the games running on the Infinity engine.

Lua is small, has a clean easy-to-learn syntax and has excellent integration with C++ to allow for C++ functions to be called directly from the scripts. I'll recommended it greatly to anyone requiring scripting abilities in their game, applications, whatever - I know it'll be my very first choice when I need scripting!

Lua website: Lua.org